As the Government works to protect us all during the pandemic, we wanted to clarify what that means in terms of support for our retail, residential and other commercial customers. Our priority is to ensure the health and wellbeing of our people and to minimise the impact on our customers. We are taking the necessary actions to manage the situation – following government instructions and industry guidance.
New lift installations
As the world responds to the coronavirus pandemic and the UK gets used to new ways of working, we are all adjusting, both as individuals and as businesses. Our dedicated teams are here to provide ongoing support, albeit in a new and/or remote way, as we continue to adapt to the significant impact of COVID. Our priority throughout this crisis continues to be the wellbeing of our customers and our staff.
Stannah is almost fully operational, with capacity for receiving tenders, providing guidance and technical assistance. The majority of our teams are working remotely where possible and attending sites where needed.
For open sites or those where building is about to start, we are ready to assist and able to continue with lift installations following the latest construction and lift industry guidance, adapting to changes to customer’s site operating procedures, and using our own updated working methods to ensure the safety of our staff and customers.
The Government has made it clear construction is an important part of recovery, provided we all work safely. We believe in supporting the construction industry, meeting the needs of our customers and responding to demand – fully responding to enquiries, discussing existing projects and progressing installations on-site safely. We’re ready to help and can be contacted here.
Our domestic & commercial maintenance and repair services
For many of our maintenance and repair customers, their lift or stairlift is essential for them to go about their life or keep their business running: helping people to get to and from their upstairs bedroom or bathroom safely, getting to their third floor flat, moving goods from a stock room to a supermarket floor or giving access to healthcare services.
We continue to provide lift breakdown and repair services for key organisations and residential settings. We also continue to carry out maintenance visits when considered necessary and with prior agreement with the customer.
We are following all government requirements, along with guidance from our trade associations, the BHTA and LEIA for visits to both homes and businesses. The current government advice concerning work in people’s homes is as follows:
- We will follow the government guidance when working in other people’s homes
- We will not carry out work in a household which is isolating or there is an individual who has been advised to shield unless to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household.
- We will comply fully with the social distancing guidelines set out by government (2m or 1m with risk mitigation) – normally we are able to achieve the 2m distance.
- Ensure workers who feel unwell stay at home and do not attend your home.
- Ensure those workers who do attend practice good hand and respiratory hygiene and follow our carefully thought through procedures which are designed to keep everyone safe.
How we will service & repair during the covid-19 pandemic
You can continue to contact us by phone, email or via our website with any queries. If your stairlift develops a fault, there is a good chance it can be rectified remotely, we will always try to do this first and in some cases a fix is possible without the need to send someone to your home.
For those customers where we continue to provide support, we are taking extensive measures to protect both our customers and our employees. This includes a rigorous risk assessment and new protocol.
- all our customer-facing staff have to confirm their health status daily
- before we visit we will ask you if you or anyone in your residence is self-isolating due to symptoms of the virus
- the engineer will knock the door/ring the doorbell, will step back from the door 2 meters and ask you 3 important questions, to determine safety for both of you.
For the safety of both you and the engineer, we are following a ‘no contact delivery practice’ when servicing. When we are onsite or in premises we will:
- wash or sanitise our hands before entry and after exit, and regularly in between if we are there for an extended period
- wear suitable PPE, where necessary
- preferably maintain a distance of 2m from others but take mitigating action should this be reduced to 1m
- minimise anything that we touch in your home, premises or site
- minimise the amount of time we spend in your home or premises
- take any other precautions we consider necessary
You will not be asked to sign for arrival and completed work. Instead, the engineer will carry out his works to our agreed COVID-19 Method Statements and once completed he will type your name to acknowledge delivery.
Useful guidance for building owners and facilities managers on lift use & maintenance
With COVID-19 affecting all of us personally and professionally, we appreciate your building’s lift might be the last thing on your mind. But in light of closures, changes of business use and concern around infection we thought it helpful to cover some key topics:
Getting Your Lifts Ready for Building Reopening
LYQA: COVID edition FAQs – guidance for lift owners during Covid-19 lockdown
Lift Cleaning – A step by step guide
Escalator Cleaning and Use During COVID Lockdown
3 tips on lift use during social distancing
In our 150 years, we have weathered many storms but Coronavirus is proving an unprecedented challenge for us all. We will continue to monitor developments and amend our working practices to take account of the latest advice. We recognise the vital assistance our products offer and so please be assured that we will continue to balance the need to support you, our customers, with the need to protect our staff and observe government instructions. We can be contacted through our main channels.
For information on support for our stairlift and home lift installations please follow this link.
We thank you for your support on this.